These rice cakes pack a healthy punch of 200 calories each with wonderful texture of brown lentils, spice of jalapeños, freshness of green onion and cilantro and sweetness of cashew butter. All this goodness is wrapped in a convenient square that fits perfectly in a jersey pocket. Delicious!
2 cups uncooked sticky rice (Calrose)
3 cups water
1 tablespoon salt
1 cup brown lentils
2 cups water
Sauce & Additions
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced onion
1 4oz. can diced green pepper (either mild or jalapeno)
½ cup diced tomato
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato paste
7 oz. Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons sliced green onion
¼ cup chopped cilantro
7 tablespoons cashew butter
- Rinse and drain the rice at least twice. Combine rice with the 3 cups of water & salt. Bring to boil, cover, and turn down to low simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit while preparing other ingredients.
- Rinse and drain the lentils at least twice. Combine lentils with the 2 cups of water and bring to boil, cover, and turn down to low simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until just translucent. Add the pepper and cook a few more minutes. Add the tomato and cook a few more minutes. Turn down the heat to low and add paprika, tomato paste and yogurt.
- Combine the rice, lentils, and sauce mix in the rice pot. Add the green onion and cilantro. Divide this mixture in half and spread the first half in roughly half of an edged cookie sheet. Plan where you will be cutting to make 12 square cakes (4 rows x 3 columns) and spoon out the cashew butter down the center of each row. Layer the second half of the rice mixture to complete the cakes. Using a large spatula, cut into 12 even squares.
- Using non-stick pan lining paper, cut 12 7” x 9” pieces. Wrap each cake as follows: start with parchment side up and place the cake in center. Fold the top down and the bottom up to overlap, then fold the two open sides of the foil into triangle tabs as you would to wrap a gift. Tuck tabs under the wrapped edges.
- Store in a sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator.